Research BVA 203 - 12/2/19





SCRIPT


“Pinup Girls” is a style that is more famously known during WWII, where they were used as an everyday advertisement to either recruit men for war or to sell insurance for war or selling the “ideal” stay at home wife with a teasing and flirtatious appearance. With this concept, I wish to develop the idea of “Sex sells”, as this was the main idea behind the pin-up girl advertisement scheme. Pin up girls were once just calendared posters for the male. But by 1800s they extended to an advertisement method. The also developed into posters that would display what the “ideal women” did, usually at home housework with a teasing and  flirtatious accent to it. As you can see in the two examples up here, I have an example of an advertisement for recruiting men for war, and the advertisement for the “ideal” stay at home wife.

My question is - How can I reverse the original purpose of “pinup”, “sex sell”, to a political feminist statement of “what I wear isn’t consent” through a parody advertisement poster.
Why you may ask, because i am curious to see if you can flip the original purpose of the pin up girl advertising to advertise a political statement.
I will also be experimenting with the idea of using the 1940s pin up girl and translating it into a modern perspective and relation to make it seem more relevant to now.

Style - I will be experimenting with more than one style before coming to a conclusion on the final style for the main poster. - pop art, block shading/noir comic style, and neo traditional. These styles will adjust to to showcase the 1940 style pinup girl and I will be using the medium of Indian Ink to execute this.

I have chosen two artist and two pin up girls to base my work around and have inspiration from.
Roy Lichtenstein an American pop artist born in 1923, he was one of the leaders in the new art movement. His pop art concept will be an idea I will experiment with. This is because the pop art style is quite similar to pin up style in a way and could be a more vibrant and eyecatching way to do the poster and grasp more attention but also this could be a problem because no one would look at the message and would just look at the pinup girl. Which is a big thing I have to keep in mind while I am designing and making this poster. Shawn Martinbrough is an American comic book artist Born: 1972, His work is noir comic which is something I am interested to see how it will affect the traditional pinup girl style.

Bettie Page and Yvonne De Carlo are both Pinup icons. Bettie is known to be the queen of pinup. I will be referring to these two ladies as my models for the poster. It will be interesting to see how I can manipulate the women to keep their traditional pinup style but with the modern relatable feel to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019