Research - week 7 - 26/03/2019

this week I have been focusing on getting my paintings done and doing particle paintings and looking into style and aesthetic approaches instead of an intellectual research approach. I wanted to see ow style reflected my self and the message and what also reflected the mood of the message. While also looking into the aspects of presentation in a non-graphic design format and a graphic design format looking at the idea of flow and anchoring. I didn't look into 60's advertisement at the time which I released while painting that I should look into because I wanted to do the 60's comic aesthetic. So my mind has a drive now to understand graphic design but, 60's comic book cover or pulp fiction comic cover. I thought it would be interesting to look into that as part of my research is about aesthetic and advertisement methods.

So I would like to look into that and try and not be so minimalist this year with my work as I tend to create my works create minimalist or be very one line approach and not look into colour at all. so I decided to push myself to at least do one of my posters in colour which didn't work out so well.  I wasn't sure at first how I wanted to approach it as I don't do a lot of colour work and never done colour work with Indian ink before. So my thought was just to do it, not to over think it just do it and sees what happens and if it works and if it doesn't. there was a lot of problems with this idea and method but because it is only testing paintings I thought it was ok to be different and try different methods and things I haven't done before. the main thing I learnt from this is you can not layer ink because it bleeds onto each other even though I let all the layers dry overnight it still bleed on to each other which I thought was very interesting, so I have learnt not to do that but it is good that I know now so in the future not to do what I just did. It's better than I did this now than doing it on my final without testing it before.

Also when doing these paintings I decided to try and step out of my mindset and not create a biest point of view while painting these, I tried to be a third person. this was important in my work because my views of nude and nudity are very neutral, I'm not affected by nudity and provocativeness. I also had a second opinion from an outsider point of view who didn't know what I was doing besides painting pin-up girls to have a look in my work. which I think is important to my works as I can see if my message is getting across or not by asking someone who doesn't know the meaning behind what I am doing. So it was interesting to hear there opinion as they have experience in graphic design as well.

So far I have tested two styles one in black with white ink accents and one in colour in neo-traditional style. while doing this I made my desk clear of any distractions and had my iPad up looking at references of neo-traditional style pin-up girls, I also had my secondary models up as references and artist models. So I was keeping a lot of things in mind while doing what I was doing. So I was staying on track while doing my work. I found this way as the most effective way to stay on track and not get distracted, or start experimenting with off-topic things. I mainly used my calligraphy pen with these works I did uses a paintbrush for the larger areas. I also tried to reflect myself as a person in my art which is something I tend not to do, I don't like making my works personal, but I think that is something I should look into and experiment with.

the artist model I looked into first was Patrick Nagel as I knew that his work was similar to my own style so it would be easy to execute and I could do it quickly and efficiently. Though the hard part was picking a pose and how I wanted to present myself with that style. So I decided to look at Yvonne De Carlo as my secondary model and based my pose off one of her photos shoots. I also looked for a pose that would reflect the style nicely and would execute femininity as well as my personality. I also made sure that when I drew myself that I had drawn myself to be looking at the audience as that was something I wanted to look at when I was first looking into doing this project. I also looked into clothed and suggestiveness to see if I could communicate the message of consent or not through this drawing. though I wasn't too worried about doing any typography or slogans to communicate the message, because I was more focused on the image portrait aspect. As that is a more important study for me than the slogan advertisement aspect.

while I was drawing I was also asking myself, what does this show? how does this present me? am I portraying myself the way I want? what am I communicating? have I shown myself in an empowering way or a submissive way? am I showing sexuality? am I communicating sex sells and consent? Am I showing self-love? Is it even possible to communicate all these things in one image? What should I do for my next image? should it be sexual or not?

For my next two drawings that I have started, I am looking into nudity and self-love more than suggestiveness and sexuality. this is because when I was doing the test's I have done I question myself am I showing self-love? So I have decided to look further in normalizing nude and self love because I didn't look into that with the test's I have done. I did state that I wanted to look into normalizing self-love and sexuality in my presentation. This made me think more about what I was doing, was I doing what I said I was going to do? So I went back and looked through my powerpoint and took note of what I was looking into.

Here are the notes I have taken from my powerpoint
Modern pin-up is more about female empowerment and female expression of sexuality.
Taking a medium used to bastardize the appeal of a woman's image and in turn deconstructing and reconstructing thus promoting self-love and woman empowerment. *
Can you communicate, sex sells and consent through a visual image?
Can you express self-empowerment through a visually sexual image?
Testing the storey type of flirtatious sexuality pin-up women, to see if there can be a shock factor within this project.
Experimentation with sexual empowerment and promotion of self-love and owning one's sexuality, whether it is heterosexual or not.

* I want to further look into this, it has come to my mind that this must be or could be my motive for why I am doing this project.

I also noticed that I scratched my original thumbnails, this is because I felt like they didn't represent me as a woman and what I stand for and weren't personal enough to me. The common theme that I am noticing in all my blog post is female sexuality.

another thing I have taken into consideration in my plan of doing all these paints, and what I plan on doing as my final project. which is something I am ok with not knowing how the final project is going to look. I have one and half test paintings to go and two development pre-final paintings and then my final painting.

I have decided that the two prefinal paintings will be more focused around the aspect of graphic design and the message as the test I am doing now are focused around the presentation of myself and how it will link with the message of consent.

Here are the paintings I have done
The bottom one is looking into Neo-traditional art, using primary colours and clothed in a way that most pin-up girls are dressed in that style. Cropped top and high waisted shorts. This is the painting that I did in colour and noticed that the ink bleeds onto each other even though I left the pain to dry overnight. I like the flower aspect and layout of this image though I don't think it portrays what I want it to portray. It's just a simple drawing of women there is nothing much to it. there is no it factor with this image. it's not promoting anything when it comes to portraying. I think this is why I want to look further into message portraits in my next paintings.

I plan on finishing my test paintings this week and start my A3 paintings before next week as graphics design takes a lot longer than just drawing up a person. There are a lot of rules to follow while designing posters and advertisement.
Related image

This is the graphic design that I am looking at doing for my posters, the 60's comic book style.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019