Research - week 10 - 30/4/2019

Project update
What have I done?

Two A3 Paintings looking into finalized style and lightly looking into graphic design. As I didn't want to overwhelm myself and over think a simple task that has to be done. By keeping it simple and not overwhelming gave the works a cleaner and sharper look which I thought was quite nice. Though I would like to experiment with background or watering down the ink to give the works a more gradient and dimension as it is quite flat. by watering the ink down, would not only give more dimension but it would also give more contrast between the ink and paper. 
I also notice that when painting on a larger scale I did have to work in section and I could not just do it in one go as this would lead to smudging or ink droplets on the page/pools of ink. Therefore when doing my final painting I would have to go section by section and allow more time for drying and be more careful and slower when applying ink. 
Interestingly I found that painting the portrait first then the text last was the more effective way to work. Though, working around the portrait was quite difficult at first, as manipulating the text to fit with the portrait was a bit harder than expected. So planning text first, then manipulating/basing the portrait around the text to make it flow with the text was the best way to go, but painting the portrait first then the text. This is so there can be a moment to adjust and finalize or edit the text before making it permanent. Or if I made a mistake that affected the text I could work the text around it easier than working the portrait around a mistake in the text.   

My question, I haven't has really thought over since week 9 as now that I'm in process of doing my final works I thought it would be more suitable to reanalyses my question while doing the final painting making sure the two are cohesive with each other.
key things that I am looking into are self portrait, provocativeness, statement. 

New artist model, that art style and art works resonates with my work more. this artist works in the same medium and, same stylistic matter. Though they are more black heavy and have a theme of insanity in there work which made me drawn to them. This artist model was recommended to me by my tattoo artist, as she said that her works reminded her of them and would be a good person to look into to be more experimental and different. https://www.instagram.com/sewp/?hl=en
Sewp is a Canadian tattoo artist based in London, their works consist of contrasting black with the element of Red. she also does a heavy amount of women portraits. ( https://www.sewptattoos.com/ )
Her work really inspired me to not be afraid to dull my work down, just for the sake of others and just do what I want to do (with in reason and guide lines). As Prior to been shown her work, I found myself to afraid to be to out there or scandalous with my work, and being to afraid of others opinion to be able to do what wanted to do to my full ability. another reason why I like her work, is the way she presented the female in a submissive sexual sense and made the women seen as an artwork not as an object.

Sewp (2019)

IMG_1849 2.JPG
Sewp (2018) 

My Works:  



Another concept I have to look at is how I'm going to present it and how it is going to be displayed in the exhibition, and the interaction the viewer will have with the works.
Keeping in mind that I want to have a concept of ambiguity with it. As it is up to the viewer to do what they please with the information.

One thing I did want to do with the final was to make it more comic panel style and not a cover. As I thought it would be more interesting to look at.

Also taking into consideration on how political I want to be with my statement and how personal I want to be with the final slogan or message of the painting.

So looking into artist models for presentation of the works is important and a must since I have a heavy based of morals when doing this work. As I want to it express certain things.

The idea of screen printing and reproduction of text is a concept I would like to look into because it is a heavy concept and what makes the art work different and stand out.

There is also the heavy thought of reproduction vs original. this is because do I want the work to be a once of painting and have more meaning or be reproduce and lose value and possibly the meaning of it. Though this would be interesting to look into reproduction of text.

Displaying of the works is another thing I have been thinking of because know I am sure on how I want the poster to look aesthetically and lay out wise. though how do I want this to look in the raw gallery when it comes to the exhibition. So composition of the works is very important as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019