Research - week 13 - 21/05/20219

Work Up Date


What I have done since last week. 
I have done my artist statement, as I wanted it to be apart of the work and have the same vibe as the work so it work side by side together. As it also would work as a voice for my work, to add to the atmospheric feel of the painting. 

You're look at me, but how are you looking at me? Where are you looking at on me? This may be a painting of me, but it is still me. Yes, I am Good, is a study of self-empowerment and the composition of the body. The connection between the viewer and the painting, the way the composition of the body communicates with the viewer. What does the body say to you in comparison to the face? Do you feel as if you are viewing and judging the painting or is the painting judging you? This is called the Extra-diegetic gaze, where the person that is depicted is looking at the spectator, you. Do you feel as if you are in power or I am in power? Are you the dominant one in this situation? Or am I? The expression of self-empowerment, sexuality, and owning one's body is the influence for this painting study.    

Update on painting

I have done a lot since last week on my panting, the pose I put myself in I wanted it to be a bit more suggestive and sexy. I also added the flower for symbolism, and to balance out the detail in the face with the flower. I also plan to do fish net tights and add bits of harsher shading. To give it that more comic book feeling or screen printed feel that I did in my last painting. Also because this is such a large scale painting that once it's done I will have to allow myself time for clean up, this means cleaning up lines making sure they are nice and smooth and clean up any smudges and ink droplets. This also gives me more time to make any changes or add any details that I didn't think about before. It also gives me time to evaluate and look over my works and ask myself if it still reflects everything I want to reflect in this painting and if it reflecting my question or expressing the key Ideas I wanted to study. 

My question: 
How can I express self-empowerment and dominance through an extra-diegetic pinup self portrait ink poster?

This question is a lot better than my original one as it is more straight to the point, and I now understand what I want to study and how I am studying it and have a lot more research to back up and develop my study. As before when I originally made my question I didn't have a lot of research or idea what I wanted to research and look into, or have a passion that was driving this study where I do now. 

My thoughts so far on my work 
So Far I think that my work is reflecting my question and I have been enjoying researching and painting these painting and learning the ways to pose the body and using the body to communicate a message. As for the pinup style or atheistic. It isn't the traditional clean style that Pinup girls are done it. It is more expanding off the idea of the comic book style, and screen printed style that I was told it looked like. As this comic book style reflects off the original artist model I had pick but it then developed off the new artist model I picked Swep. I have gotten to the point in my work where I know it is going to be finished really soon and I have to start evaluating my work and how it has evolved over the time of this study and how it reflects my study.

I can also start thinking about the dissertatio
 Project Framing and Resolution

 Title & Question: 
How can I express self-empowerment and dominance through an extra-diegetic pinup self portrait ink poster?

 Name your project.
Yes, I am Good

 Question driving your project – has it evolved over the semester?
Yes my question has gone through a lot of changes and evolved over time as I narrowed down my key ideas and studies. It has narrowed down and became less broad and more straight to the point on what this study it. It has become based around the key Ideas I kept doing back to every time I evaluated my work and my question. Self-empowerment, dominance, extra-diegetic gaze and self portrait.

 Aims, Objectives & Context:
My aim was to be able to learn how to communicate a message through bodily composition, how to express the key idea of self empowerment through the body with no words as context. As originally I wanted to uses words but, after doing more studying and research for my final I decided to not do any words on the poster itself. 

 What do you want to find out? What do you want to discover? What did you want to
create?
I wanted to find out a way to communicate with images, how express self empowerment for women, and myself. I wanted to discover a way to express myself, and how I could express myself through a painting and how it could be developed into bigger and better ideas. I wanted to discover a way I could spread a message and how I could do it in my own way and own style. I wanted to create a self-portrait so it was more personal and create a way to express what could be a message, a statement or developed into a way to learn how to create what could be political art.

 What skills, techniques, methodologies did you want to utilise?
I wanted to develop skills with ink and my calligraphy pen. I wanted to learn more ways to use the calligraphy pen. I also learnt how to do larger scale painting and how to plan and utilize time when doing a larger painting. Because I don't do large scale paintings this was a good way to learn how to time manage and learn the best and efficient way to do this painting and how different it was going to be than from a smaller scale. 

 Does your project fit within a larger plan/project? Describe where it fits. Does your
project serve to push your development as a practitioner? Describe how this is important
to your professional development.
this project is more of a concert study for a larger project I would like to do which is a project about what it means to be yourself or a women. This doesn't necessarily fit within this larger project idea as it is a study on how to express self-empowerment, but it is self-empowerment of myself and of a women. It is empowering women which could be considered an idea or an starting point for this larger plan I have. This larger idea is to help me push and develop my skills and ideas and learn how to narrow down and express myself and not be afraid to be personal with my work and reflect myself within my work. The project I have done has pushed me to understand my passion and where my creative passion comes from, and what I want to get out of my work and how I can achieve that with my work. I want to create messages and spread messaged about empowerment and one's self. I am also using my own work and a way to express and find more about myself, about what I am passion about and how I can use my passion of art to spread messages and awareness to different causes and movements I am passionate about and can give a voice to. This is important as it is teaching me how to express myself, and how to use the medium of art and painting to create a voice. 

 Conclusion/Findings:
I have concluded that communicating a message through the body will never been seen as the way you want it due to the fact that, it is up to the viewers interpretation to conclude what the painting would mean with no context of writing on the painting, this is why the artist statement is important for this work because it gives context and reasoning behind the painting. Though not everyone is going to read that. I have also found the difficulties of working on larger scale paintings, and how it takes more time and needs to be done section by section to guarantee smoothness and no smudging. I also came to the conclusion that for the best affect of making people ask questions and to be interrogated by the work is to have no words on the painting, as it makes them question further for the context and then they would look at the artist statement which will give the context but will also act along side it for the context.

 What was the outcome of your project? Consider both the final product and how
successfully you’ve resolved your question. Consider what you’ve learnt through this
project.
My final product was a 71x50 ink self portrait which communicated self empowerment within my own view.
to be honest I still need to think about this as, I am still unsure as if I have answered my question or if I have expanded the idea to connect in with my study I would like to do next year. Also it is because that I feel unsatisfied with my work as I feel like I can do bigger and better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019