Art History - S2 week 2 - 15/07/2019

contemporary pacific island artist

Finding an artist that was relevant to my own work was quite hard and difficult as, I wasn't sure what my own style was besides the fact I only work in ink and doing drawings. I also wasn't sure if they even did ink painting in the pacific islands.

Though I did find a few artist who I liked and thought where relevant in their own different ways.

I loved lalovia Peseta's works
They are beautiful portraits of women with a monochromatic colour scheme
Related image
Kiss (2015) Lalovia Peseta 
 "I always loved doing art but life kind of got in the way as usual. I only got back into my art in a serious way about a year ago. I was part of the 11th Festival of Pacific Arts in the Solomon Islands in July 2012 and it really woke me up to what I want to do with my life. I paint, carve, tattoo, do elei printing etc but at the Festival I exhibited paintings and was a carver for the American Samoa delegation. Just being around hundreds of artists from all over the Pacific was really inspiring.:" (2013) https://1samoana.com/a-samoan-artist-to-watch-lalovai-aisake-peseta/

"Siitiaga is a biblical reference and means to move upwards or ascend. This examines death and moving on – and when we leave this world we leave all earthly material things behind, even the cultural symbols in our very skin. I wanted to paint about this because we are Christian people and believe in Judgment Day but I’ve never seen art about it.

Especially painting the idea of leaving everything behind, even our clothes and the tatau falling away or slipping off as we go upwards at the end of our lives. This has made some people upset who say that I’m disrespecting our culture but you can see it as symbolic, or as real because when we die we lose our bodies anyway. If it makes people upset or not, I don’t mind. I’m just happy that my art can make people think about things like life, death and culture."

Related image  Related image Image result for Lalovai Peseta

Her work in relevant to mine because she does monochromatic colour schemes, and does portraits of the female body to show her beauty in a nonsexual manner. I really enjoy her paintings founding her has inspired me to do more works of women in a more meaningful manner.

Loretta Reynolds
"My practice as an artist has been informed and influenced by an earlier engagement with graphic design, calligraphy and sign writing. This earlier practice has influenced the ideas, meanings and practices generated within my work. For example, the use of a traditional mahl stick and lettering skills can create cleaner, sharper lines than conventional methods of painting Cook Islands traditional art.

The application of these lines have allowed my work to engage in a painted technique that looks more like etchings or drawings than is normally associated with traditional Cook Islands’ art. These techniques have also given me the opportunity to relate my work more with the heavily etched characteristics of traditional carving of the Cook Islands. The idea of connecting my previous graphic work with traditional art forms plays an important part of my practice as it provides me with a way to create a personal response and creative perspective on how traditional Rarotonga patterns can be re-constructed in contemporary form."
Image result for Loretta Reynolds artist Image result for Loretta Reynolds artist Related image

I love Reynolds work's before not only they are ink which is the medium I use in my own work but it also is mixed with other mediums which is something I cam also currently experimenting with. Her works a beautiful and expressionist which is something I would love to learn to capture in my own works. I also find it interesting that she does her newer works are on hardboard. she has also done LED works and works on Canvas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019