Art Theory - S2 week 2 - 15/07/2019

Diser to shown whom you are on side vs out
How I am in person vs drawing
Persona? the real you? vs society suppressed you?
Why pin up?
WWII men went away, so their fore women went out and job jobs in men dominated and women liked it.
Independence?
Fashion between WWII great depression vs 1940 vs 1950, vs 1960 fashion sway on political
Fashion related to soical political status.
How you dress is reaction to social.

Everything is a circle

constant feeling of no one understand or is listening?
Ot the fact I have a lack of ways with my own words, as I struggle to say what I want to and what is going in my head to other people which leads them to get confused or the wrong Idea.

I wants to learn how to expand and experiment my works and find more artist that have done what I have done and learnt and developed from it. Though that is very hard because I am doing something a lot of artist are not doing or isn't talked about a lot. I am looking into things that have only just started to arise or haven't been disused much.

I would like to also look into colours and how to incorporate them into my own works, as it is something that I usually don't do with my work. I want to expand on the idea of what it means to be a women, and also look into portraits of men but in domestic women roles. I would like to continue to look into social roles of each sex and experiment with the stereotypes of what an ideal women.

I would like to expand my style of working in, and I want to try a more gore style rather than a sleek and smooth style that the pin up girls are in. I would also like to mix medium as said before. I want to find more artist doing what I am doing, or have expanded on what I am doing.

I found this artist Uji Handoko Eko Saputro, he is an artist with a colourful and cartoon style that is very interesting and different. It is the style that I want to look into with my won works but is very different and on a large tangent to the work that I have done for BVA203. So Why do I want to go from one extreme to the other?

I think it is to do with the fact I want to do better and get better but I also want to  learn how to be expressive and put more meaning and expression into my works. Thought I want to do it in a way where it is different and not beautiful and delicate which is something I do with my work.

"I was born in a family who’s not really aware about art. My fixation on painting simply started when I was a child, doodling and drawing like a regular kid. As I grew up, I met some friends in a punk community and helped them create stickers and cassette covers. Someone then told me about Institut Seni Indonesia (Indonesian Institute of the Arts) and, after convincing my parents that I wouldn’t be a starving artist, I was in. That wasn’t entirely a lie. I planned to enroll in the print making major and create a clothing label afterwards. What happened inside the institution—interacting and collaborating with the senior artists—has changed my mindset thoroughly. Especially after I went to Korea for an artist residency program, I was assured that I am capable of creating art and having an exhibition."

Related imageImage result for Uji Handoko Eko Saputro
Uji Handoko Eko Saputro
So I have decided to break down my work bit by bit to help myself and others understand why I did my work and where to go from it.

Firstly I want to find artist models in my medium that are relevant to my work and that are women, I think it is important that I have women artist models as I am a women myself and i did a self portrait. As if a male is painting a women it gets labeled as the male gaze, but if a women paints a women in the same way it is considered empowering?

I found Alessandra Maria,
Image result for alessandra maria
Add caption
Alessandra Maria is 27 

College: Pratt Institute

How would you define yourself as an artist? I make things I love.

Why art? How did you get involved with art? I have always had images in my head, and I feel the need to create them. I have been making art since I was a child, and I never stopped.

What art do you most identify with? I love all forms of art, and try to evaluate them according to the parameters of quality appropriate to each category. I love everything from minimalism to conceptual to work from the Italian renaissance, all are worthwhile and can be drawn from.

What does “being creative” mean to you?
Being curious about the world, asking questions and answering them visually. But I do believe it’s different for everyone, and there’s no one set answer.

What are you trying to communicate with your art? It varies greatly from piece to piece. Sometimes a feeling, sometimes a philosophy.

What themes do you pursue? Feminism has always been profoundly important to me, and I also have always wanted to pursue creating sensations in my viewers. If I can make people “feel” what it would feel like to be in a particular situation, I’ve succeeded.

What inspires you to work? My creative goals, the idea of being able to help push visual art forward through my small contribution.

I love her work and the overall style of her paintings, the way she depicts the women in a soft renascence style. her paintings are focused on the face of the women not on the body. I also noticed that a lot of her paintings the women where looking away from the veiwer which I don't personally do I like to do the extradiegtic gaze. Thought I do like the way she does it and I will be more considerate of doing it in future works. She also like me likes to do a monochromatic colour work. I want to do realism and teach myself to pain more realstic faces instead of the cartoon comic style that I usually do as it will come in handy when doing neo-tradtional style.

I also found Ikenaga Yasunari
"Born in 1965 in Oita prefecture and graduated from the Midorigaoka High School (attached to the Oita Prefectural College of Arts and Culture). Painted on his own dyed linen canvas, his "bijinga (Portraits/ prints of beautiful women)" provide a sophisticated texture and taste. His first art book in 2014 is a long-seller and his works are also published as prints, calendars and coloring books. Even in foreign countries, his works are popular as design of stationeries and novels."

Though he is a man and not a women I still love this work and think it is beautiful and captures the women in a way that in innocent and in the everyday beauty. Though it is veyr loud with all the different patterns and clashing of patterns but I quite like it and think it would be great to experiment with that style and see what can be developed form it. also I think it is interesting on what the women are wearing and how they are wearing clothes, and how it is not traditional and conforming to the male gaze and how the women are just simply beautiful in a natural every day sense. Which is something I want to learn to capture is just the natural beauty of the women, clothed and not clothed. 

I also found Kerry Beall
"Kerry Beall Is A Manchester Based Graphic Designer And Illustrator.
Kerry’s process is to draw free hand in ink and charcoal, merging the works together to create a finished digital piece that has depth and texture.
Kerry was born in 1984 in Portsmouth, then went on to study in Bristol where a strong interest in Art and Design developed. Kerry moved to Brighton in 2005 and graduated from the University of Brighton with a BA(Hons) in Graphic Design. 
Now, having worked in the design industry for over 7 years, Kerry has gained a strong background in Graphic Design, and uses her good eye for composition and detail to create exciting free flowing Artwork that combine a mixture of chaotic ink and scrupulous charcoal drawings.
Kerry’s works are mainly portraiture based, often with a surrealist twist."

I love her work a lot as it is something I am currently experimenting with right now and is very relevant to my work as an artist. Hero blog is amazing because she also journals her paintings, and talks about her process and what she has done which is very helpful and is something that will come in handy in future art works and studies. ( https://www.kerrybeall.com/ ) 

ARTWORK SIZE SPARAYPAINT INK PORTRAIT KERRY BEALL.jpgartwork-acrylic-and-oil-painting-woman-kerry-beall.jpg

This is the style I want to expand my work to, as I love how exasperationate it is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019