Drawing - S2 week 1 - 08/07/2019

My comic plan was simple and easy
It was planned to be a slice of life romance between to females at university. One girl was the main character who worked in a coffee shop studying art, while the other girl was the love interested and is a regular customer at the coffee shop the main character works at. The story line follows the Main girl coming to terms to her feelings and learning how to speak to love interest and confess her feelings towards her. With a side kick/best friend of main character who is over aware of them being in a comic and it over dramatic and exaggerated.

The original comic that I had written up was all very head focused and was unsure on how to write thew plot or where I was aiming the plot to go as seen down below.






After this was handed in and feed back was given, it came apparent that it was visually boring and repetitive. Making the book seem to drag on and doesn't visual please or engage the reader. There was also the fact their is no establishing shots or environment shots to set the scene and mood for the comic and give more visual context and visual information about the character and background information to give context that can't be given while talking or without a character bio or a pro loge.

This created a good start point, and a bouncing point to how to  make a better comic. How to visually be engaging and giving more context to the viewer with out stating it. I wanted to look into exaggeration and parody of action manga. So I also did research into manga and highly popular action manga, such as dragon ball Z, once peace, one punch man. While also learning to do establishing shots and environment.

I did more research into artist models, and more comics that would help with the exaggeration parody part of the comic, and how I wanted the side character to be exaggerated and dramatic. 
I got inspired by my hero academia, a Japanese superhero manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikosh, character called  Yuga Aoyama or can't stop sparkling. He is a very exaggerated flamboyant and dramatic character. This character inspired the side character Arlo, who I wanted to be equally dramatic and over exaggerated while also being aware of being in a comic which is inspired by Dead-pool as he is over ware of being in a comic and is able to break the fourth wall.
Yuga Poses
Yuga Aoyama - my hero academia 
  I was able to research what I wanted everything to look like and how to create an atmosphere, that related to the characters personalities and showed a bit more on what they are like and their personalities. It also showed a bit of what time period they are set in where they live the social statues they are in. If they live in city or rural. It also gives me time to practice and develop my environment skills, and do more learning on it. This also gave me a nice suture to write the story on and give more personality and understanding to the characters and give to information on the setting.

These are the references I used for the environment/setting. I wanting to give a small cozy vibe for the cafe something chic and cute. That fit both Zelda and Peter's personality to show where their personalities meet yet are still different. I was also able to show Peter's personality by showing her bed room which I might still alter to be a bit more messy and have lots of art supplies around, but it was more of a base idea. Zelda's house is also shown in the comic which is another great opportunity to show Zelda's personality a bit more, and also show more of where they live and what it is like. I wanted it to be quite city heavy. It was very inspired by London houses and flats.

References for Cafe:




(didn't end up using this one, it is suppose to be Peter's house)



All these references helped with making an more visual environment and helped add to the story as well. I am pleased I was able to re do my comic plan again and be a bit more experimental and go out of my comfort zone this year and expand on a simple idea I have had for a long time. It is great to finally see this idea I have had come to life in a way that is working and comfortable enough for me that I am able to produce it, as well as be experimental and try new things. As last year I took an easy way around things and kept experimenting to a minim as well as making my story more for kids than young adults which is what i wanted to cater to this time.

I also wanted to experiment with more styles and different styles as well, this is why I wanted to do a parody over dramatic style so I could try different styles in the one comic. I also wanted this comic to be a foundation to what could be a series of comic. Or give it that Manga feel to it.

I also wanted to be more experimental with characters and personalities, I did a lot more research on styles characters and developing a character around a personality type and how the characters would interact or be friends. I wanted to focus on key traits that would be prominent to the viewer when reading. I also think it is important to have a large understanding and a soiled understanding in the characters before writing about them. I also wanted to be a bit more experimental with character traits and looks and how to express their personality with their looks and their actions in the comics.

I also wanted to have character Bio's for my characters so I had something to reference back to when I was writing about them but if I wanted to add to the book character bios I could. I wanted to make sure there was a clear understanding in what I was writing and not just going with the flow and making something out of thin air. I wanted to research develop and finalize each thing before going through with it, as that was something I never did last year I didn't really develop anything.

Here is the now updated and more develop and researched Comic. I do think their is still more to develop and work on but that it ok because I will do that.





 I think I am going to develop the characters look a bit more, look into style and how they dress. Make some mood boards for each character and develop their style more. I also want to look more into them as a character themselves developing them, and giving them more of a background story a larger character bio.

The final cover, took about five goes as I never liked any of the original ideas or drawing I had done. I did a lot of research and thinking for this cover. I wanted it to be a good reflection of what the comic had in store. I wanted to to be clear that It was a parody as their are a lot of visual refernces to different action manga's.

The final cover ended out being pretty good for my ability with digital art. I went for a water colour style for the cover. As Tokyo ghoul which was one of the larger influences for this comic has a water colour style with their covers.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Theory - S2 week 11 - 23/09/2019

Art History - A4 S2

Art History - s2 week 4 - 29/07/2019